Monday, April 19, 2010

(You've Got A) Case Study

From reading Appendix F, there were a number of insights I garnered from the work on Campus violence. Amongst other things, I was able to follow Creswells, et als.'s setting of parameters and clarification of how their study fit within the technical parameters of qualitative research. It was a bit more elaborate than my introduction is likely to be, but it at it set some kind of model framework. I was also impressed with the clarification of the "need" for the study, something I've been wrestling to explain, as well as the explanantion of ethics. I did feel there was a little less self-reflexion than in other studies. Overall, I felt like case study might be defined as "situational ethnography".......But instead of studying a "group" case it's a "situational" case with the multiple groups and sources as the "wild cards." I didn't have that sense going into the reading, but I came out with that sense. I have a feeling, with enough time and the right subject, I really might enjoy doing this approach to research some time in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Carl, how are you doing? I like your insights. That is a good point that Creswell lays a lot of groundwork for the potential benefit or need for the study.
    Unfortunately, incidents that he discusses have become rather common in North America. I am sure there has been a lot of follow-up on the work he has done.
    Aside from his campus, there is probably an "Action Plan" in place for most major universities in North America. Even if a campus has not had an unfortunate experience such as this, they probably are likely to be in close proximity of another that has.
    Since it is such a sensitive situation, Creswell mentions a lot about the ethics. You were good to point that out. I hope to get as much out of his example as you seem to have. See you on Thursday. Cheers, Chad

    ReplyDelete