Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Interviewing Doing

As part of my Thesis project/process, I did 6 interviews this week (since last Friday night), four with Native English-raised and educated teachers of English in Korea and two with Native Korean raised and educated teachers of English. Last week I did three interviews with Native Korean raised and educated teachers only. And by next Monday I will one more English-raised and one more Korean-raised interview. The interviews, as what might be called somewhat typical for the Grounded Theory approach, were conducted with a selected phenomenon-experiencing group. The questions were semi-structured, with more structure generally coming at the beginning and end. When I got what felt like leads to different experiences, observations, and attitudes, I encouraged pursuit of those with such comments as "please tell me more about....." The interviews have thus far (with 9 of 11 completed) taken from 17-40 minutes. I have used microcasettes and standard cassettes to record the interviews (Koreans and Waygookin beware, I could not find new microcassettes anywhere)......Establishing rapport was not a problem, nor was the assurance of ethical questioning and the use of the data.
What has been most interesting about the process is the different tangents and stories on which the (so-called) informants have taken me. (I always thought an informant was a "snitch")
These bits of information could potentially lead to other deeper, more specific studies based on the theory which I am proposing here. I will need to assess at the end of my interviews and coding whether I will need to "re-interview" anyone, using tangential issues which later interviewees brought to light.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Carl, how are you doing? I always find your perspective interesting. I am glad you are making good progress on your thesis. Learning the proper way to interview is a valuable skill. I guess experience is probably the best teacher. I will see you tonight in room 706.
    Cheers, Chad

    ReplyDelete