Sunday, March 7, 2010

Week 1 Pgs.1-14
The introduction to this book actually provided more food for thought than I had imagined. This is particular in the case of my thesis advisor asking me if I intended to write a "Grounded Theory" type of qualitative research thesis paper. Deductively, and also as advice, I thought that choice would be most judicious at the time.
But as I begin to research, envision, and format my vision, the type of research has actually become blurrier. This has become a question again more deeply as I evaluated the criteria from this week's reading. As I begin to explore the psychological dimension we call "shame," it is becoming evident that there is a deep need for a phenomenological investigation and assessment. As I explore the "Korean psyche" or East Asian cognitive worldview, it is also apparent that there is also a great need for ethnographic research. Employing interviews from native Korean teachers with psychological education also involves narrative elements. But in final format, these interviews will be used only in an incidental or supporting/contrasting role.
Ultimately, I will need to incorporate these many elements and, by deciding the purpose or intent of the research, determine which class/type of research my paper will fall into most comfortably. This will also determine the form of the paper, and questions of enquiry to be utilized.But,as the author himself notes, very rarely does a paper "purely" fall into one category . There are almost always elements borrowed from other types of research integrated.
Another question I had is if there needs to be a discussion of the type of qualitative reasearch is intended within the text of the paper itself. If so, does it generally ocur within the introduction or literature review? If this a "Grounded Research" Paper, is it worth mentioning what "Methodological" implications are opened?
Finally, there is the question of the reflexive component within the paper. I will need to evaluate when I where I should place this in order for it to be most effective and appropriate.

3 comments:

  1. hi Carl,

    "As I explore the "Korean psyche" or East Asian cognitive worldview" hmm . . . do you really think there is such a thing? Don't people from different countries, regions in countries, social classes, etc. seem different to you? Are you arguing there are universals, or just similarities?

    Regarding whether and where there "needs to be a discussion of the type of qualitative research is intended within the text of the paper itself." the answer is YES! I look for that at the start of the methods section for more detail read section 2.06 of the APA guide 6th ed. (starts on page 29).

    are you thinking of the reflexive element to be how you are bracketing yourself in the study -- admitting your biases? sometimes that is in the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Carl.
    Good to see your opinion here!
    Your process seems pretty concrete, so you have quite specific questions. I also have several wonders, which are not ready to ask somebody. I should work harder... ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Carl, how are you doing? I like your post. It is hard to determine what type of Qualitative research to use.
    I would also like to explore the Korean perspective. I find it fascinating.
    I hope your class in Incheon is going well. I am enjoying Anyang. There is so much to do in Seoul. Take care. Cheers, Chad

    ReplyDelete